Friday, March 12, 2010

Shabbat Shalom!

Shabbat Shalom,

I just got back from the most beautiful religious service in years at the New York Reformed Jewish Central Synagogue. Really, Ladies and Gentlemen, no wonder the Jewish tradition, way of life, and community has survived so long and so tightly knit for so long because the Sabbath in Judaism is truly one of the most beautiful things anyone can experience.

I was able to attend this service as part of my Institute of World Religion class. We were all invited guests to the Sabbath Service as Brother Belnap, our instructor and ex-stake president, is good friends with the head Rabbi. I remember in class Brother Belnap, clarifying that the Jews view the sabbath as a welcome day, where for the rest of the weekend, they get to experience the joy of heaven on earth through their observance of "shabbat".

This service was heaven on earth. First off, Jewish music, especially reformed Jewish music is BEAUTIFUL. We mormons are missing out on some serious inspiration. The three stories of sephardic/moorish beauty of the synagogue stunned the visual senses and the music did more. The "cantor" or leader of music played guitar, while a band consisting of a grand pianist, a percussionist, a guitarist, and 4 back-up singers led the congregation in some of the most enchanting hymns I've ever heard. The music was of Jewish heritage from Africa, Germany and some of it contemporary, but all of it sung in Hebrew and all of it seemed to coax your heart out of your chest, to sing with everyone else's.

I really thought, "No wonder Judaism endures... they have all this," and I looked around me and I saw smiling faces, people happy to be there. People honestly seeming to welcome the shabbat weekend as a few days of heaven on earth, like a baby awaits the sweetness of a reward he is about to enjoy, and I found myself getting excited with them. Amidst all this happiness, the younger rabbi got up in front of the congregation, welcomed everyone and then began another beautiful hymn to start the service.

A moment of silence was recognized, an almost completely silent 30 seconds except for a few excessively aggressive horns from outside, and then amidst yet another enchanting melody, the entire congregation turned toward the shut rear doors and sang as they symbolically welcomed the sabbath.

I almost want to stop writing because I feel I am so far from doing the beauty of the service justice by trying to explain it. I guess the best explanation can be that I plan on going again next week just to experience it again. The music alone would be worth it, however, I do not want to diminish the rest of the beauty of the service by making this an inquiry into Jewish music. I felt God's presence there. I felt God really listening to the Jewish people's prayers and remembering covenants he made with them 2000+ years ago and them living up to them.

If I were not a mormon... it would not be hard to coax me into Reformed Judaism.

Until Next Time, Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment